Sunday, October 19, 2008

Apostles Creed

As a little girl my family attended a Presbyterian Church. Unfortunately, mostly I remember being told when to stand, told when to sit, told what to pray, etc....
This morning I was reading over some notes and came across the Apostles Creed. I first learned this prayer in this Presbyterian Church 30 years ago probably... and then it was just words in a book, a memory lesson to regurgitate to a Sundy School teacher.
Today, it is so much more than that. I am disappointed that somehow years ago, I missed what this prayer is really revealing to our hearts. If it's been a while since you've seen it, read it, prayed it, take a moment and listen to the heart of this prayer, and what HE did for all of us.
Thanks for the new eyes to see, the new heart to feel, the new ears to hear...


I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven

and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.
Amen.

1 comment:

pyrotechny said...

I agree. I remember attending a church and going through a responsive reading or something,and getting completely excited with the beauty of the words and what we were really saying, but everyone around me who was "used to it", just looked bored. Going through the emotions. If I ever get like that you have permission to SHAKE ME!