Friday, July 25, 2008

What's in a name?

I'm sure if you're a parent you have some cute nick-name for your children, right? I was thinking about that the other day and the names I/we pick to call K. Things like "sweet pea" "little bug" "little peanut" "punkin" "booger".... and then i started thinking about what some of those things actually look like! NOW- pray-tell, why on earth would i call my child by a name of something that represents a booger you ask?! I do NOT know!!! The only somewhat rational explaination I've come up with is an analogy to a charismatic term "speaking in tongues".

Scriptures say in Romans 8:26: "In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. " So... my line of thinking is, with our own children we are simply trying to find a word or words that can somewhat express the way we feel about them and how much we love them. So we use other words with different inflection to try and help get that across....

is that crazy??? I don't know; maybe it is.... but that's my story, and well- i'm sticking to it!

So speaking of our little sweet pea... here is a picture of her and her daddy swimming last weekend and Monie and Rog's (her Burnett grandparents)
and here is a picture of our little bug hanging out with the new puppy (who i think is still nameless at this point...)

and here is a picture of our little peanut, sleeping with her little bum up in the air (oh- i could just sqeeeeeeze her sometimes, she's so cute!)

and now... we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of company this weekend! Matt's Mom and Dad and his sister, Marci, and her husband Aaron and their little girl Ashley are coming to spend the weekend with us! We're pretty excited!

5 comments:

pyrotechny said...

I think you nailed it!

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was thinking the other day about blogging on Tennyson's many nicknames! I consider them terms of endearment.

Anonymous said...

We always called ours peanut, sweet pea(still call them that) and bugaboo...maybe those just come natural to parents:)She looks adorable.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Dear Landis Family,
Thanks so much for the beautiful birth announcement. Kaitlyn Olivia is a sweetheart. This is my first blog comment and my daughter says keep it short. Please send me your email so I can send you my long version of "What's in a name?"

Blessings to you all,
Aunt Jody (Jolene)
jschlosser@vcu.edu

Kristy said...

What a cutie! I love the one with her little bum sticking up in there air! :)

Good insight into the name stuff. I like your way of thinking! We do the same calling our munchies all different kinds of names.

Hope your weekend with the family was great!