Friday, January 9, 2009

A Special Christmas Gift

This Christmas my mom gave Kaitlyn something very special!

When I was a little girl, I had this one doll that i would drag around E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E... I mean everywhere! She was simply my favorite dollie! The Kewpie Doll

My parents and us three kids moved to Staunton in 1970 (the year I was born) and in 1972-1973 they started building a new home, the home they still live in today. So, I would have been about 2 1/2 to 3 years old at the time. It was a bit cold outside, so they had a fire burning in the yard as the whole family was there working.

Well.... in my 3 year old logical mind, it was cold outside, and my dollie didn't have enough clothes on, and the fire is nice and warm... so what better thing to do for the dollie than to throw her in the fire!! I thought for sure that would keep her nice and warm.

Unfortunately, my logical 3 year old mind didn't think about her N-E-V-E-R coming back out of that fire! :( so 'twas a sad day for this little 3 year old girl.

So my mom searched ebay and online and antique stores (yes! antiques- I KNOW!) and found 3 Kewpie Dolls at an antique store actually!!! (We won't discuss how that makes me feel).
She cleaned them up and bought clothes for them (Webkinz clothing actually- very creative my mom) and gave these "Vintage 1970 Kewpie Dolls" to Kaitlyn for Christmas.

Wondering.... does that make me 'vintage' as well?!

Kaitlyn doesn't appreciate them quite as much as i do at this point, but i'm sure she will grow to love them as much as i did! What a very precious gift!

Thanks Mom!


2 comments:

Carl8ta said...

If it makes you feel better - I remember kupie dolls - in fact my little sister had one too !!!!

so I don't think you are an antique!

Kristy said...

what a sweet, thoughtful gift! I am sure Kaitlyn will love and cherish her doll as much as you did.